Saturday, May 07, 2011

Hairspray Weekend

So I’m a little behind on my blogging. I’ll do last weekend first, and try and get this weekend’s activities up soon.

Last weekend (May 1st) was the big final performance of Hairspray in Melbourne. Saturday arvo I went over to Vanessa’s and we did our thing. We watched Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, watched the 30Rock 100th episode, watched more Bones, and started our new dinner show Rizzoli and Isles. That was Saturday night. Sunday we got up, walked the pooches, dressed smartly and headed into the city. We popped into the Ian Potter Arts gallery to see the VCE arts exhibition in which Ness’ brother Nick was featured. There were lots of cool stuff – like creepy costume, destroyed wedding dress and pretty photos. There was also some weird stuff that I just didn’t get – but that’s art for you. Not everything is for everyone. Nick’s work was very original especially compared to some of the other stuff. Creepy/Weird but in a cool Tim Burton way! I liked all the detail, but my golly he must use a ton of ink!
After that we headed up to the theatre district. We got lunch in this little café next to The Comedy Theatre. It looked nice, but they took forever with some of our orders, and I had to go ask about my milkshake and I wasn’t the only one reminding them about stuff. –So I definitely wouldn’t recommend it if you were in a hurry! I mean they took the orders on Post-its!
After that we headed up to The Princess Theatre. I went to join the line for the toilets while Ness waited to meet her friend outside. My friend Laura from high school was working there again, and I chatted to her for a while, while I waited to move through the line. We had seats right near the end, at the first door, so we had a ton of people climbing over us cause they were not early getting into the theatre, but the seats were pretty good once things got started. Even though we were only 1 seat from the end, you can see just about everything from there.
Now I love Hairspray more than the next person probably…but its not MY show. This one belongs to Ness. It is her obsession, and I accept that. It’s hard to be obsessed when you only see things for the 2nd time at the final show. The last show was a blast. Everyone was extra excited and cheering which was fun! It didn’t have quite the same ‘rock star’ vibe that the final Wicked had, but Wicked is a very different show altogether vibe-wise. Hairspray had a lot more kids in the audience…some who were very annoying and had annoying parents!
At intermission I ran into Laura again, and chatted to her about the shows I saw in NY and about what I’d been up to. It was really good talking to her. I don’t really see anyone from school anymore and always end up running into Laura at the theatre, but we never really have a chance to talk.
After the show, and the tons of cheers and applause we gave the cast, Ness and I raced straight out the doors and to the front of the line for the stage door – we planned our seats especially for that!
It was my first Hairspray stage door experience and my first since New York. I brought along the program and decided on having the cast sign the front cover, because it would have taken too long to find the pages – cause it was crazy busy…but I probably would have had time, but I know who they all are! Oh well. Everyone was really lovely and that made it really fun!
After it was all over…Ness went looking for her missing cardigan, and ended up having to go through the stage door to get it…which I thought was really cool! – She crossed through to the other side! Nobody does that!
We headed  home…well back to Ness’ place, after picking up the puppies from her parent’s house. We ate some toast – having not had any dinner, and watched some more Bones to cheer us up.
It was a very full on weekend, but it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately there are no good future musical prospects! I have no interest in ‘Dr Zhivago’ or the Phantom of the Opera sequel ‘Love Never Dies’.  I don’t know what the next big show to come to Melbourne will be, but hopefully it will be something awesome! –Maybe I should start saving in advance, always keep a little musical savings fund going!
I’m surprised Hairspray didn’t stay very long…it seems like a short run in Melbourne to me, same for Mary Poppins. But maybe I’ve lost perspective after Wicked was going for over a year in Melbourne!
But I guess really when it comes down to it, I just need a job – regular income. That would make musicals easier.

--------
Carlie

No comments: