Monday, April 25, 2011

Rock of Ages

It was so nice to be back at the theatre. My 2nd time this year. Saturday night I got all gussied up and drove into the city to see Rock of Ages at the Comedy Theatre. I was on time, until I started looking for parking...that's always my downfall. I must remember to leave earlier next time. I ended up parking in Lonsdale street just down from the theatre in a parking garage that only charged 7 bucks for the night. -A pretty good deal if you ask me!

I met Ness at the usual restaurant in Burke st and ordered the first thing that popped into my head - pizza. Which I don't think I've actually ever ordered from that place before, so its ok. -not that I NEED to justify my food choices to anyone.

We headed down to the theatre around 7:30pm, bought our programs for a respectable $20, and hung around in the lobby till it was time to go in. -I haven't been to the Comedy Theatre since I saw Avenue Q with Brett and Nick years ago, but the lobby of the theatre reminded me of the Broadway Theater in New York where Promises, Promises was.

We had good seat on the aisle, with no great visual blocks or anything. It was an interested crowd of people in the audience. We were definitely on the very lowest end of the age scale...except for maybe a few teens. Mostly it was oldies..but that's to be expected with the kind of music.

Once the show got going, I really started enjoying it. I didn't really know what to expect. It was definitely funnier than I expected, and the legendary music was worked in really well. -It was hard to not sing along.
They gave us fake LED lighters to wave at the door...but no one really used them till near the end.
My fave characters were Regina, Franz and the narrator guy..whose name I can't remember right now...I want to say Lonny...The main two were really good too!

There was one bad thing about the show - that they served drinks during the show and took orders...people would walk up and down the aisles taking orders while the performers were on stage...it was somewhat distracting.

By the time the show was over, my ears were ringing like a real rock concert! There was no where to go afterwards, so we dawdled around for a bit before heading off to our cars. The 7 buck carpark worked out good -although it was a little dark up there when I was leaving, but I was parked right next to the elevators so I felt safe. I was home pretty quick too - its always an easy trip, only 20 minutes give or take.
I was singing the songs and was way too hyper to sleep, but after starting to watch some tv, I became exhausted very quickly, and was out like a light when I went to bed. -I did have weird dreams though....long episodic ones...

Anyways all in all it was a good night, a lot of fun and I might see it again before it leaves Melbourne if I can find the money.

--------------
Carlie

No comments: