Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tony Awards 2011 Wrap Up


So its that time of year again, Tony Awards. Last year was a lot more interesting to watch, because I knew I was going to NY in Sept/Oct and was shopping for shows I wanted to see. But of course I still loved seeing what Broadway was doing this year, but just really mad that I’m not going to get to see any of it!

Neil Patrick Harris was host again. He IS a great host. He’s funny, adorable, and can get away with some jokes because of it. This was his 2nd time hosting the Tony’s. Last year was done wonderfully, but in a very different style by Sean Hayes. I loved his little songs, and I loved the dance number with Hugh Jackman...as much as I hate Hugh Jackman, it was funny and cute!

As for the awards themselves, nobody I loved was nominated. Book of Morman took most of the awards. Norbert Leo Butz from Wicked won for Catch Me If You Can –(which looked really good), so I was glad about that! The brother (John Benjamin Hickey) from The Big C won too, which was nice. 
Even the presenters were not that exciting, with one major exception - Joel Grey was adorable, I love him, I mean how can you not! –I really wish I was seeing Anything Goes, which he’s in right now. A couple of other people I like presented, like -Vanessa Redgrave, James Earl Jones, Jim Parsons, Angela Lansbury, Alec Baldwin etc were all good. But I was really missing a lot of ‘my people’ and also just BIG theatre names in general...Kristin Chenoweth (first show in 4 years she wasn’t there), Idina Menzel, Bernadette Peters, Bebe Neuwirth, Nathan Lane, and a bunch of other people I’m probably forgetting were not in attendance as far as saw! So that was disappointing.

I LOVED the number from Company, with Neil, Katie Finneran, Martha Plimpton, Stephen Colbert, Jon Cryer, Patti Lupone, and Christina Hendricks! It was cool to see so many of my top people there!

The stuff with Brooke Shields was both terrible, but HILARIOUS! And it wasn’t bleeped either! 
I also loved that I got to watch the Tonys live this morning, and before the West Coast of the US! That’s kinda crazy! But why it wasn’t at Radio City Music Hall I have no idea?! It was a little sad, like its being pushed out of fashion! Better go back there next year!

Overall great fun, I re-watched it last night with Ness, Kay and Nick. It’s even more fun with a group, especially THE group!!!

-----------
Carlie

No comments: