Tuesday, February 01, 2011

To the Best Grandpa in the World

-I wrote this on the 16th of January, and finally am posting it. I wasn't sure if I wanted to or not, but I'm finally putting out out there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So its been a busy week for me, and a hard and not easy week.

Last weekend my Grandpa's health went downhill and we all went in on Friday to see him. Early Sunday morning we got the call that he was gone.
Now don't feel too bad for me, I dealed with it very well in my opinion. I was sad, but never distraught or bawling my eyes out. For one thing, I knew it was coming. He was 91 (almost 92) and there was warning, we got a chance to say goodbye, and I'd been expecting something could happen for the last couple of years.

Nobody lives forever, and while I am sad that he's not hear anymore, I got the best out of him while he was here and thats what really matters. I've got great memories, I spent just about as much time as I could with him, and in the end am glad that he didn't go while I was away last year...which could have been a possibility.

I could not have asked for a better grandpa than Ray Marten. We were close in our own way. I always knew he cared, and he was always happy to see me and anyone else who showed up.

My first memory ever is being picked up from my Grandparent's house by my dad the day after my brother was born. When we were little, my brother and I spent a lot of time at my Grandparents. They looked after us alot, including overnight stays. One thing that always makes me think of my Grandpa is that line from the A.A Milne poem. "A little bit of butter for the royal slice of bread." He used to say it anytime we had breakfast or lunch.
When I was really little I would follow him around the garden, and we would talk to the little frog statue, pick lemons and watch the birds. He taught me how to play draughts (or checkers), he taught me to play solitaire (but I prefered to play it with him), and he also taught me to play rummycrib....but I forgot how to play that long long ago.

When I went to high school, he would always ask about what I was learning in French, and we would attempt some sentances in French. He tried to help me with my maths back in the day - but I was hopeless case. I could tell he was proud when I went to Uni, and was interested in what subjects I was studying. I was excited to show him my diploma.

He always encouraged my interest in travel and was interested to hear about my trip last year, he gave me money towards it. He was always giving me money, which I appreciated, but he would insist upon giving it to me, even if he gave me some the week before. He was alway generous with money or time. When I was helping him out and visiting with Grandma while my mum was away in 2009, he came home from grocery shopping with pink cupcakes to have with our tea just for me. He was that kind of guy. He always made me feel special.


Until last week I still had 4 Grandparents, so I felt SO lucky to have all 4 for 25 years. My Grandpa was almost 92, he could still walk on his own (until the last few months didn't even need a cane), he still had his hair, and his mind. So you can't ask for more than that!

The funeral was hard, I had no idea what to expect. But it was good to see everyone turn up. He was beloved by so many people - and not just family. I've got no complaints. I'll miss him, but I'm not really sad for him or myself. I just feel lucky to have known him for so long, when so many of my friends didn't have grandparents at all.

Love you Grandpa.

------------
Carlie

No comments: