Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Australia Day Weekend

So this past weekend has been the long (Australia Day) weekend. I don't really care much about Australia Day, but this weekend was also the big day for my cousin Elizabeth who tied the knot to James.

Mum, Nikki and I headed down to Mornington yesterday morning, and arrived around noon, and went for a swim. The day was awesome, and quite hot in the sun. The water was amazingly clear and not too cold which was great. Plus it really did wonders for my feet!

After a decent swim, we found some lunch and went to our hotel room. We stayed just down the road from the reception place, which was easy...not as easy as staying AT the reception place, but Mum was misinformed about where it was.....but lets not go into that.
Scott met us down there. The room was massive, a double bed, a single, and Scott slept on the couch. The bathroom had a really massive spa bath too which was fun.

After getting all spiffed up, we headed down to the coast for the ceremony. It was just above the beach on the hill. Gorgeous setting! However, we stood out in the sun waiting for it to start, and then during....and I wound up VERY burnt on my chest/back/shoulders...the pain is not good at all.
But apart from that, it was a really lovely wedding. Elizabeth and James are a cute couple, and it was very sweet. Sarah and Kate were the bridesmaids, in green. But they had different style dresses, which I always like.

After the ceremony, Mum, Scott, Nikki and I went to see Auntie Joan's new house (after moving back from England) -which is just across the street from the reception place. She got this really lovely little place that she has added touches onto. We had a cool drink and a chat, before heading across the road.

We stood around for ages waiting again. I kept having to hold everybody's drinks for some reason at different times....and yet never had one myself! lol. Scott, Nikki and I were seated at the 'kids' or cousin's table, with Ben, Janelle, Luke and Regan, and 2 other girls that were friends of Elizabeth's. They were really nice and we all chatted away throughout the night. I had the chicken entree, and the beef main. Both were really good. I sat next to Luke and we chatted about TV a bit. But he's into a lot more stuff that's perhaps not my style, or I have just never seen. But we offer our opinions all the same.
After the speeches, which were fun (Uncle John had one written down this time...unlike Kate's engagement party disaster!), we had some dancing. Mum had had a fair bit to drink and was in the mood to dance...she tried to drag me up but I was not having any of it.

After dessert (which was awesome, mini lemon meringue, choc mousse and tiramissue), they started playing some good songs, and the non-related girls got up to dance with me and Nikki, Regan, and Scott too. So we all had fun dancing to some good 80's and 90's stuff...I mean it was the music Liz and I grew up with, her being 1 year younger than me. I mean they played Vengaboys! But it was a lot of fun, we danced till the night was over. I never once took off my shoes, which I am quite proud of. They were pretty comfy.

It was a really nice evening, not too many people - mostly just family and close friends. Someone said only 100 people. Which was nice, cause it wasn't too crowded or noisy. They also didn't play the music loud during the night, until it was time to dance. So we all had a chance to chat!


After it was all over, we headed back to the hotel, I had a spa bath and went to sleep...once Mum shut up...she was in that drunk chatty/noisy mode...it was driving me and Nic nuts! -Scott was out like a light....

Today we were going to go to the beach, and/or a BBQ at John and Mary's, but we weren't really in the mood, between lack of sleep and bad sunburn. Plus it was a bit cool for a swim early in the day. So we packed up and got breakfast in Mornington, and headed home.

There is another family wedding in the works (Kate and Ged's)...time for someone else to get engaged...however the rest of us don't have partners, so it could be a long wait :P


----------
Carlie

No comments: