Thursday, October 08, 2009

Language

So I'm in the middle of reading a chapter of my textbook for Intercultural Communications, and there is a chart of Aussie words, and the US words that go along with them....so here's the list...and MY words :P

US/Aussie
Ranch/Station (seriously? to me its a farm...or a ranch if its in the US...)
Herd(of cattle)/Mob   (A mob? really?)
Round Up/Munster (okay aussie words are stupid!)
Pasture/Paddock  (okay I have to go Paddock on this one)
Pacifier/Dummy  (Dummy or in my house...Ning-a-ning)
Trashcan/Bin  (yup..rubbish bin)
Case of Beer/Slab (slab all the way)
Shopping Cart/Trolley (I work at Safeway...totally Trolley)
Jell-O/Jelly (well to be fair, JELL-O is the brandname...like Bandaid....but yes I call it Jelly)
Diapers/Nappies (again I go aussie...course I don't think I use the word much)
Car Trunk/Boot  (boot, unless quoting something)
""Hood/Bonnet (I probably use hood...but I don't think I really need to use it ever)

I find it interesting that footpath, sauce, and many other famous words didn't pop up in there.


Okay I think I'm done for now...

-----
Carlie

No comments: